“Maine Man’s Shocking Times Square Attack: Guilty Plea Reveals Disturbing Motive”


Maine Man Pleads Guilty to Attempted Murder Charges for Times Square Machete Attack

A shocking incident that occurred on New Year’s Eve a year ago near Times Square has finally reached its conclusion. Trevor Bickford, a 20-year-old man from Wells, Maine, pleaded guilty on Thursday to attempted murder charges for attacking three New York Police Department (NYPD) officers with a machete. The attack took place on the edge of the high-security zone where revelers were screened before entering the blocks around Times Square.

The Horrifying Attack

On December 31, 2022, Bickford carried out a brutal assault on the officers, injuring all three of them. Before striking them in the head with the machete and attempting to grab an officer’s gun, he shouted “Allahu akbar,” an Arabic phrase meaning “God is great.” One officer even suffered a fractured skull during the attack.

New Years Eve Times Square

Pedestrians walk in a nearly empty Times Square ahead of the New Year’s Eve celebration Thursday, Dec. 31, 2020, in New York.

(AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)

Admission of Guilt

In Manhattan federal court, Bickford admitted to three counts of attempted murder and three counts of assaulting U.S. employees or officers. The charges he faces carry a potential penalty of up to 120 years in prison. During the plea proceeding, Bickford expressed remorse for his actions, stating, “On Dec. 31, 2022, I attempted to kill three NYPD officers with a knife while they were working in Manhattan. I know what I did was wrong and I’m sorry.”

The Motive Behind the Attack

Authorities revealed that Bickford had studied radical Islamic ideology and had decided to carry out a jihad against U.S. officials. His intention was to kill as many military-age men in uniform as possible. Bickford had initially planned to join terrorists overseas, but he ultimately chose to launch an attack within the United States. He confessed to investigators that he had walked around Times Square before the assault, meticulously planning the right moment to strike.

Legal Consequences and Sentencing

Bickford’s sentencing is scheduled for April 11. If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of 120 years in prison. However, it is worth noting that Bickford still faces state charges in connection with the attack.

A Mental Health Condition

During the plea proceeding, Bickford revealed that he was taking three medications for the treatment of schizoaffective disorder. This raises questions about his mental state at the time of the attack and whether his condition played a role in his violent actions.

The Aftermath

Following the attack, Bickford was shot in the shoulder by police and taken to a hospital for treatment. Thankfully, none of the officers or innocent bystanders lost their lives in this horrifying incident.

This case serves as a reminder of the constant vigilance required by law enforcement agencies to protect the public from potential threats. The brave actions of the NYPD officers involved prevented a potentially devastating tragedy from unfolding in one of the busiest and most iconic locations in New York City.

As we await Bickford’s sentencing, it is crucial that we reflect on the dedication and sacrifice of law enforcement officers who put their lives on the line every day to ensure our safety and security.